21 July 2014

Father's Day and Timberline are the perfect combo!!

Well here is my second post. I had every intention of posting this blog BEFORE Father's Day! As they say better late then never ... right?!?  I am going to have to remember to take pictures of my work as I am working!!
I wanted to make a couple of Father's Day gifts using the Timberline papers (because I absolutely LOVE this paper pack)  It has the perfect colors for the men in our lives especially ones that love to camp or fish.  (Which mine do!) I will post about the mini album I made using this same paper pack another day (sooner than later)!!! :)

For this project I used the following CTMH products: 3-4 sheets from the Timberline paper pack {X7182B}, 2 [3x4] and 2 [4x4] flip flaps {Z1747}, some bitty sparkles {Z1263, Timberline Assortments {Z3005}, and D1342 World's Greatest Dad stamp set (retired).  Tim Holtz products: Configuration box, tissue tape, compass coin, game spinners and knob.  I used some dimensional fishing stickers and metal letters.  Some tools I used: the sanding block from my sanding kit {Z1294}, liquid glass {Z679}, 3-D Foam tape {Z1151} and some glue n' seal (multi-purpose glue and sealer).

With the left over paper I made matching Father's Day cards :) Which I forgot to take a picture of before I gave them away :( 
I love this paper!!! I wanted to show off the paper so the only thing I added was the Tim Holtz knob.  The newspaper-like tape on all of the edges is Tim Holtz.  The first thing I did was put my tissue tape on all the edges. I sanded all of the paper edges before I glued them down.  Once I had everything glued (and it had dried) I then used some glue n' seal as a sealer over all the edges.


I was going to use a 4x6 flip flap but I wanted the sunset from the bottom picture to "peek" through so i used 2 [3x4] flip flaps instead.  I liked the way it turned out!


View of the inside of the box. I was careful that the embellishments on the inside cover landed within the boxes on the right side, so the book would still close. I used the liquid glass to adhere the Bitty Sparkles.  Once it had dried some (about 2 mins) I then covered the metal letters with a thin coating of liquid glass.  I used the 3-D foam under the compass coin.  I wanted the game spinner to be able to spin :)


I used 2 [4x4] flip flaps in the center of the book.  I adhered them to the book rather then the removable boxes. I added a piece of cardstock behind the pictures in the flip flaps for a spot to journal.  I also used 3-D foam tape under some of the pictures to give a dimensional feel to them. I decided not to glue down the boxes or use tissue tape on the edges.  I wanted the ability to move the boxes around.  I had thought about putting tissue tape around each box but decided I didn't like the look of it so left the tissue tape off.

I really like that it's a shadow box so you can add dimensional embellishments but it still has a cover, so if we decide you don't want to display it, it slides onto a book shelf nicely.

I had a ton of fun making this (Tim Holtz) configuration box!  I have never made anything other then albums. If you would like to try making a configuration box using Timberline or any other paper packs, you can order the CTMH supplies I used at my website.  You'll want to order soon though, because Timberline (and all the paper packs in the current idea book) are being retired 31 July (only to make room for all new (9) paper packs!!) 

Here are some videos from Tim Holtz.  They are about his configuration boxes.  Not exactly the same but you get the idea! :)



Thanks for stopping by!! Please let me know what you think and leave a comment! Hope you have a blessed week.  Enjoy!

~Alex~




2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Alex, for your very kind comment on my blog. Have a wonderful day. P.S. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect, thoughtful Father's Day present for any guy that likes the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete